Monday, July 28, 2014

Why Ask Why

                    
            I have been asked several questions over the past year that I may not have fully answered. Why quit the fire department? Did someone make you mad or did you hate your job? No I loved my job and I love all the people I worked with. It was not always a bed of roses and I didn't always get along with those I worked with but I still really enjoyed it. Why quit well my wife and I felt called by God to put our faith where our mouths were. You see we have been going to church and claiming to be Christ followers for years but our lives hardly showed it except on Sundays and Wednesdays. We ourselves asked why to that and started to study and pray on that and we listened and heard Gods call on mission. No question after that we knew what we had to do, I fought it for six months finally my wife wrote my two week notice and our true life began. We have grown closer as a couple and family since then. Why move to a poverty stricken area of town and live with those people? Will your kids be safe? Your gonna get robbed and all your stuff will be taken. Well we moved down to an area of town that sees and has a lot of bad news daily, where we try to share the gospel and bring love into an area that the love of God is not seen frequently. We are just as safe maybe safer than we were in our little subdivision. We have loved on our neighbors and they love us to the point that we don't have to worry, our house is the most secure in the block, it is watched like a hawk. If we do get our stuff stolen what have we lost? Stuff, it is all replaceable, and guess what we probably have to much excess anyways. I have been questioned so much as to why we have done what we have done, we lived in a life where we depended on ourselves to get things done in our lives and we left no room for God. We have flipped that we no longer depend on self but on God there is little room for self when your heart, eyes and ears are on God. This is not easy I like to have a constant flow of funds and excess so that I know when the bills are due I can pay them. I let that go and depend on God that he will provide. I have been doing all kinds of work as jobs come along that seem to get us enough to pay our bills. I have mowed lawns, painted a house, demo work, to even just being a patient ear and help a lady out through a stressful time at her house. How did these jobs come about? God, I have not advertised and I have not pushed it I have listened and when opportunities arise I jump on it and get it done. I continue to get questions and to be honest I am down to the answer of its a God thing. My question is why did it take us this long to figure this out?

 Disclaimer God may not be calling you to this lifestyle, but you do have to stop and listen if you want to hear where he is calling you.

Food for thought Matt 19 18-22


No comments:

Post a Comment